Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2011

Sneak peek at Oak Meadow 1st Grade Language Arts

We started first grade Oak Meadow Language Arts with Creeley today. I picked up a very well- loved copy of the First Grade Syllabus and First Grade Fairy Tales for a most excellent price. I plan on using this program for Language Arts and Social Studies immediately. I'll pick up Science in the fall because the program is designed to follow the typical school year pattern with regards to seasonal lessons. We will continue on with Singapore Math 1A for Creeley because that program is a perfect fit for him.

I think we are going to adore this program! Here's a sneak peek of what we did today for our A day.

Here's the whole spread:


First we read our alphabet story for the letter A-"The Magic Spindle." The story was just the right length and very well-written.


Creeley and I both wrote an A and a and made them into pictures to symbolize what we read in "The Magic Spindle" (haystack for A and a little girl with golden hair for a).



Then we read through our -at and -ay word families using the phonogram sheets from Jan Brett. We love her cute little illustrations. (Sorry the picture is the wrong direction...I can't figure out how to flip it for the life of me.)


Then I read the A poem 3 times. You can see that they provided a list of the word families for this week, but the Jan Brett sheets are adorable and Creeley really loves little creatures so we are going to stick with those instead.


He can't wait to do B tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment