Search This Blog

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Craftiness

I notice that some of my followers are of the crafty variety. I'm usually fairly shy about sharing my creations, but since I only have 7 followers, I think I can handle a little exposure. Maybe this will also influence me to take the two seconds that I haven't been able to spare while making posts and create labels for them.

I am trying to use up some of my craft supplies around the house and finish up projects that I have been putting off.

A little over a week ago I used up some fantastic Manos del Uruguay wool that I have been hoarding for a few years to make a tiny felted skirt for my boss's baby, who is currently holding out on her earthside appearance (40 weeks and 5 days in utero).
It is the very first time I made a pattern of my own and I am super happy with the results. I wish I had written it down. Better do that before I forget! Hopefully she won't be too big to wear it when she is born!

I promised my in-laws two years ago that I would make a replica of the gift I made my mother-in-law for her brother. I picked out some motorcycle material (he's a motorcycle guy) and some coordinating fabric around that time, and it sat. I have been feeling a little guilty about some of my project turnaround times, but then I remind myself that I have three kids under 6, 3 jobs, and 1 car for a family of five.

My mother-in-law called me on Thursday and reminded me that he was going in for surgery Monday, so I finally got around to making him a reading pillow using the Sew Liberated/Montessori by Hand pattern. I have also made their Emmeline apron, and I might need to try my hand at the Schoolhouse tunic soon (although I would wear pants with mine). If you sew and haven't tried their patterns, definitely take a peek. They are delightful to work on, and rewarding to finish. Here are a few pictures of my work in progress and the final results. Sorry if it's boring. I love seeing how people work, and I have to assume that someone else out there might too!

Making the piping is definitely the most challenging part of this pattern. I'll spare you the picture of the piping sewn onto the wrong side of the pillow late at night and the quotes from me as I was ripping out the stitches.
Pieces were cut the night before, and, as usual, I did things out of order.I made sure the pockets displayed a few cool motorcycles, because I'm a dork like that. I love the ribbon I found for the page holders and book mark!
Finished and in the mail! I hope this helps Uncle Joe hold his books while his shoulder is on the mend.

Now onto the curtains that are the bane of my existence.

2 comments:

  1. Ohh that skirt is so sweet!!! Love the colors, too. I made the Schoolhouse Tunic a few weeks ago and it's great. The pattern comes with a shirt length, so that's what I made, and I wear it with jeans. I need to make another in a more fun fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The skirt is sooo sweet. And that reading pillow is a really good idea! Devlin would love one!

    I take for-ev-er to finish projects too. Like, really forever. And I have my own car and no job (well, a tiny job).

    ReplyDelete