Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Mmmmm. Pretzels.

This is my first post about food, but since the boys eat ALL DAY LONG, I assure you it will not be my last! Every once in a while I like to change it up a bit, and these soft pretzels are both easy to make and extremely enjoyable to eat (and make minimal mess).

First I throw all the ingredients in my trusty bread machine that I picked up at Goodwill for less than $10. I use whole wheat flour and the pizza dough setting on the bread machine and they turn out super yummy.

After the dough is ready (I think it takes about 2 hours...I started it soon after breakfast), I split it up and placed the dough balls on a slightly floured Pampered Chef pastry mat.
In order to teach our children about the art of imperfection, and to save my time and sanity, I made the pretzels into "sticks" rather than those of the twisty, cool looking variety. I let them rise for about 20 minutes on my getting-seasoned Pampered Chef stoneware.
Then I plopped them into the water concoction a few at a time and flipped them over.
I spooned them out of the pan and put them back on my much-loved-stoneware-that-cooks-everything-evenly-and-beautifully-every-time. I brushed them with egg white and sprinkled sea salt on a few and left the rest plain.
Into my fabulous new convection stove they went.
Half way through they got flipped.
And voila!
Look at that fantastic consistency.
The enticing plate awaits 30 little fingers.
Ah! The sweet smell and sight of doughy success!


And the added bonus was that after this snack there were enough left over for mini pretzel pizzas for dinner! I added tomato sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni and threw them in the oven to heat up. Success again! Try them. You won't be disappointed.

Please note that I am not an employee or stock owner of Pampered Chef. I simply love their products and endorse them because they make for fun cookin'.

2 comments:

  1. Yummmm. It has been too long since we made pretzels here! We'll definitely check out this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So yummy! I love to paint them with a little butter and sprinkle parmesan on top. So good!

    ReplyDelete