Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Outdoor Hour Challenge #2: Using Your Words

We spent more time at the Riparian this week for our second outdoor hour challenge. The kids are really getting into our "nature hikes." We never quite make it as far as I hope, but there is a distinct beauty (and a lesson in patience) in watching them look at, examine, and touch nearly every. single. thing. It is absolutely lovely to know that they will grow up to appreciate our natural world. I spent so much time out in the woods growing up, and I still hold those memories fondly. Certain smells, sounds, and even sights can take me right back there. I am so glad I can share this love with my children. I apologize in advance for all of the pictures. It being such a beautiful place to photograph, combined with three little boys exclaiming, "Momma, get a picture of this" repeatedly makes for a big upload. Without further ado...

When we walked down toward the lake the first thing we spotted was a lovely blue heron standing in the brush.
As always, the boys enjoy watching the ducks. They especially like to note when different looking ducks are swimming together. How's that for a lesson in diversity?
The ducks flying overhead always make the boys pause. And there is the standing joke that maybe one will poop on Mom's head.
The flowers are spectacular right now.
And we caught a few pollinators along the way. See if you can find the bees in these pictures. They are harder to catch on film than Townsyn.
The boys can never resist the lure of the little orange "berries." I must find out what these are.
The boys also noted that many of the plants appeared "dry, brittle, or dead." We will definitely observe changes in these plants throughout the seasons to see if we can "figure them out."
The highlight of the trip, even trumping the hiding blue heron, was the sightings of many little birds on trees, in the air, on rocks, or in the brush. We will definitely be doing a family bird walk before summer gets here. I'm also thinking of checking out the Birds of Arizona Field Guide or another book to take with us next time.

I'll admit to being the sharp eye that finds the nests usually, but the kids were thrilled with the spotting nonetheless.
Now, on to the assignment:

We sat still and I asked the kids to name 1 thing they heard, 2 things they saw, and 3 things they felt. They added a few extra to the list, but they are quite wordy little dudes.

HEARD
bird tweeting
bird whistling
bird calling "oo-ee"
leaves blowing

SAW
birds flying
flowers
bird nest
hummingbird
heron standing still in plants in the water
yellow tree bark
orange tree branches
pokers

FELT
brittle stems
bumpy leaves
crunchy pods
soft flowers
wind
hard rocks
poking stems

They wanted to go back the next day!

5 comments:

  1. I don't blame them for wanting to go back again the next day! I would too.

    What a great place to go and explore and it will be a great experience to visit during the various seasons of the year.

    Thank you so much for sharing your link. I would love for you to submit this to the OHC Blog Carnival.
    http://blogcarnival.com/bc/cprof_9182.html

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great week you had! Such a variety of finds and I find the fact that there isn't one flake of white in any of your shots to make them all the more beautiful ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guilty of doing the photo thing myself. It's so wonderful when you can share and discuss what you've seen/learned.
    You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Saw Heard Felt questions. I'll need to remember those. Great post on your field trip! Looking forward to seeing you around the Outdoor Challenges. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you about the sights and especially smells of the outdoors that triggers good memories for me as a child. Great pictures and discussion!

    ReplyDelete